As a starting point into this project, Vicky Hwang, Brian Yang, and myself researched the building Center of Life is located.
To give readers some background, the building is located at 161 Hazelwood Avenue. The building consists of two parts. The first part, the Oliver House and Estate, is a home built in 1882 by Henry Oliver Sr, the father of Senator George Oliver. The second part of the building, the sanctuary, was added to the Oliver House and Estate in 1924. The sanctuary would become the First Hungarian Lutheran Church.
Our group built a scale model of the first and second floors of the building as a way of understanding the space, and how people interact within the space. As the “Lives Lost” team, we hope to utilize the space in the months to come, and continue to learn more about the history behind Hazelwood through it’s people, as well as it’s infrastructure.